Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Premise

I'm a huge fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000. The series had quite an impact during my formative years - my snarkiness, my idiosyncratic sense of humor, my critical eye, all are things I can attribute at least in part to a puppet show from Minnesota.

I'm not the only one, either: with the success of MST3K, a whole genre of "riffing" was launched. Whether it be the "sporking" of bad fanfics or novels, or downloadable commentary for DVDs, the internet is awash with heroes combating mediocre and insultingly stupid entertainment with sarcasm and devastating criticism.

And now... well, I thought it could be my turn.

I picked up a copy (used) of Battlefield Earth a few years ago and ended up slogging through it out of sheer bile fascination. Then, a few months ago, I started blogging. And with a little corner of the internet to call my own, the thought occurred to me - I could be riffing, too.

A cursory Google search surprised me with the lack of sites picking apart L. Ron Hubbard's sci-fi classic (for a given value of "classic"), and the next step seemed obvious. So here it is, a blog devoted to sporking, riffing, and/or MSTing Battlefield Earth the novel. Sorry about the unimaginative name.

This is mainly a pet project of mine, a pleasant diversion from my slightly more serious blog, and an experiment of sorts. Which topic do I prefer to offer commentary on? How far can I get in the book before I'm confronted with a frivolous lawsuit? We shall see.


No comments:

Post a Comment